welcome

Welcome to the land of Clootielugs where squirrels, rabbits and their like rule the roost. I love to make and sew and find inspiration from many sources although nature in its many forms tends to be the thing that fires my imagination most often!

You can see and purchase many of my creations on Folksy:

Thursday 6 October 2011

Hoop Hoop!

I've recently discovered the joy of embroidery hoops! They make wonderful frames for all kinds of fabric art. They make a curvy change from the hard cornered edges of traditional frames and I love that I can make the back look just as beautiful as the front!
I've begun a series of animal hoops...so far I 've got mouse, fox and badger but fawn,and maybe mole are soon to follow!



Motivated by my new hoop addiction I have been on a Folksy quest to see what other sellers have made using these versatile frames..

I love Jennie Sandford's lyric hoops! Jennie uses vintage metal hoops as well as wooden ones to present her work. I've chosen to feature this metal framed embroidery of lyrics by venerable wit Morrissey from The Smiths. The back of the hoop is finished neatly in grey felt.Jennie has added a signed piece of muslin which also credits The Smiths lyrics. A black satin ribbon means the hoop is easy to hang wherever you choose!







I love this version of a decorative hoop found in Folksy shop The Grimm Exhibition. This shop sells a glorious array of wares using darkly vintage prints and printed textiles. This hoop features an image of a vintage fairy complete with delicate wings. The hoop is bound in cotton printed with old french script and the piece is finished with a layer of pretty tulle. The edges of the fabric are allowed to spill out from the hoop creating a frilled appearance. The hoop hangs from a length of french scripted cotton and as the piece de resistance a muslin sachet of magnolia scent has been stitched to the reverse so this hoop doesn't just look gorgeous but smells delightful too!








Of course, hoops don't have to be round. This hoop by Athene Noctua is oval. Re purposing a piece of vintage embroidery, maker Rebecca has further embellished the piece using bits of vintage lace and ribbon, a pastel button and glass beads. This work is also backed neatly in a bright green felt.








Serious lovers of hoop decoration will find their oasis in Folksy shop Bella Bobbin. Amanda and Sarah are the brains - and the fingers - behind Bella Bobbin and together they have created a shop full to the brim with the cutest characters and prettiest patterns in paper and textiles! I really like this sweet hoop. The two trees on a pretty polka dot background is made special by the addition a little string of bright bunting. Deceptively simple and immpecably cute! Bella Bobbin also offer gorgeous personalised hoops - perfect to mark any special occassion! Why not take a look for yourself?







I have a daughter who favours bright red lipstick and seems to think it appropriate to smudge this all over my bathroom towels! So this next hoop rings bells for me! I have to say creator Sam Gibson makes red lip marks seem much more artisitic and beautiful than the random smears on my hand towels! The careful embroidery allows Sam's lips to jump out at you - could you resist planting a return smacker on these? Unique and funky you have to visit Sam'shop of original stitched illustrations!







If you feel inspired to create a little hooped wall art of your own then Folksy seller Lupin sells these adorable mini hoops at the very reasonable £8 for 6. At just 3" diameter these would make sweet Christmas decorations for your home and tree - you could even create unqiue gift-tags with them!






...and that's what I love about hoops - they create so many wonderful possibilities....

1 comment:

  1. jill, thanks so much for featuring my lyric hoop on your lovely blog. jenx

    ReplyDelete